John M. Nicholson, Ph.D., P.E.
John M. Nicholson, Ph.D., P.E.
Morgan Nicholson has been a Systems Engineer for fifteen years. He has led the development of several large programs in the Space Situational Awareness (SSA) and Space Control mission areas. He has published twelve papers in systems engineering and SSA fields. Morgan works at Harris Corporation as a Chief Systems Engineer (CSE) for several programs. He is a member of the CSE Council and the CSE Discipline Team where he trains Systems Engineering tools and techniques across Harris Corporation. Before working at Harris, Morgan was a Systems Engineer at the Ronald Reagan Ballistic Missile Defense Test Site on Kwajalein Atoll. Prior to that, Morgan was an Air Force Officer and Systems Engineer for the Electronic Systems Center. Morgan’s research involves the theoretical evaluation of engineering design methodologies.
Areas of Interest
- Theory of Systems Engineering
- Conceptual design methods
- Design optimization
- Engineering management
- Ph.D. Systems Engineering, University of Alabama, Huntsville, AL
- M.E. Systems Engineering, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, CO
- M.E. Engineering Management, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, CO
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
- Engineering Project Management (UCCS)
- Systems Engineering Processes (UCCS)
- Systems Engineering Theory (Harris)
- Systems Engineering Process Course (Harris)
- Chief Systems Engineering Course (Harris)
- Agile Systems Engineering (Harris)
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE), Colorado
- Certified Systems Engineering Professional (CSEP), INCOSE
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP), PMI
- Certified Professional Engineering Manager, ASEM
- Certified Requirements Engineer – Advanced, IREB
- Certified Tester Expert Level, ISTQB
- Certified Agile Practitioner, PMI
- OCSMP Certified Model Builder, Fundamental
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt, Harris/UAH
- Certified Quality Engineer, ASQ
- Certified Reliability Engineer, ASQ
- Certified Risk Management Professional, PMI
- Certified Modeling and Sim Professional, M&SPCC
- Certified Acquisition Professional, SPRDE, Level 3, DAU
- Chief Systems Engineer, Harris Corporation
- Principal Systems Engineer, Exelis Corporation
- Senior Systems Engineer, Kwajalein Range Services
- PARCS Program Branch Chief, USAF Electronics Systems Center
- Eglin Systems Engineer, USAF Electronic Systems Center
- Nicholson, John M., Collopy, Paul D., “Pugh Controlled Convergence and Social Choice Theory”, ICED 2019.
- Nicholson, John M., Collopy, Paul D., “A Mathematical Evaluation of Engineering Conceptual Design Methods”, SERC Doctoral Students Forum, 2018
- Nicholson, John M., “A Theoretical Critique of Engineering Conceptual Design”, INCOSE WSRC, 2018
- Nicholson, John M., “Agile at Your Own Risk”, Defense AT&L Magazine, July/August 2018 Issue.
- Nicholson J. Morgan, Peterson, Matthew, “Modeling Phased Array Radar Performance Using Queuing Theory” Proceedings of the Industry and Engineering Management Systems Conference, 2018.
- Nicholson J. Morgan, Peterson, Matthew, “Radar Value Modeling” Proceedings of the Industry and Engineering Management Systems Conference, 2018.
- Nicholson J Morgan “The Future of AN/FPS-85 Deep Space Tracking”, 6th NASIC Signatures Conference, Aug 2017
- Nicholson J. Morgan, Gholston, Sampson, “Applying Experimental Design to Improve Phased Array Radar Performance” Proceedings of the Industry and Engineering Management Systems Conference, 2016.
- Nicholson J. Morgan, Gholston, Sampson, “Case Study: Test Time Reduction for Radar Performance Validation in Deep Space”, Proceedings of the 2015 IIE Engineering Lean and Six Sigma Conference, 2015.
- Nicholson, Danielle, Nicholson, Morgan, “Adaptable Radar Engagement Simulator”, UCCS Alumni Newsletter, Aug 2012.
- Nicholson, J. Morgan, "A Guide to Developing Systems Engineers in the AF ", Defense AT&L Magazine, Oct 2012.
- Nicholson, J. Morgan, "Outside Influences on Systems Engineering: A Company Grade Officer’s Observations in the Aftermath of a Difficult Project ", Defense AT&L Magazine, July 2011.
- Harris Leadership in Engineering Achievement Program
- Harris Corporation Technology Innovation Award
- Harris Corporation SIS Quality Cup Award Winner
- Harris SIS President’s Award
- Harris Engineering Leadership Award
- Exelis Emerging Talent Leadership Development Program
- Exelis Sustained Superior Achievement Award
- Air and Space Basic Course (ASBC) Exceptional Performer Award
- International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE), Colorado Front Range Treasurer 2017-present
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- American Society for Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Project Management Institute (PMI)
- National Society for Professional Engineers (NSPE)
- Engineers Without Borders
- Session Chair, INCOSE Western States Regional Conference
- NCEES Volunteer
- Volunteer Judge, Colorado Springs Science Fair